How many has visited me?

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The battle of the 250cc's

Thing is, I love bikes, I love them so much, I even take a stroll around the city in the middle of the night, sometimes.
Currently, I am using a Yamaha bike that is only produced in Southeast Asia but lately, I'm feeling for an upgrade.


I'm using a Yamaha FZ150i or in a certain country(ies), it is known as the Yamaha Vixion.
Let's start being geeky with the specifications. The 2010 version of FZ150i has an engine displacement of 149.8 cubic cm with 14.8 horsepower. It can go up to 130-140km/h tops if you know how to handle the throttling and if you're going downhill with full acceleration.
Single-cylinder, SOHC system, four valves, and four-stroked.
Bore/stroke ratio is around 0.9 something so it's under-squared which means it has more power during low-revs.
My recommendation, if you're buying this bike, you should throw a few extra hundred ringgits to replace the stock handlebar to something more sporty-ish. It's very uncomfortable to use a high handlebar for long trips with this bike although you don't have to worry about overheating because it is liquid-cooled.
The bike uses an electronic fuel injection (EFI) system as carburetion so you can save lots of fuel.
Fuel capacity is 12 liters so that's quite enough for a 150cc bike.

I'm considering to sell this bike, so if you're interested, I'll give a contact number at the bottom of this post.
I'll even throw in a PDK racing exhaust for free. (although you will get a ticket from relevant authorities if you customize the exhaust) ;)

Reason for selling? I'm just not into naked bikes, some people does, though. And the seat is too high, I can't reach the ground with my both feet. HAHA!
I like sport designs much better although sport-bikes aren't suitable for all kinds of terrains such as gravel.
You can buy certain parts to customize the bike to make it look more sporty but it will cost you in around RM500-RM1,000.
The performance is great, really powerful pick up speed due to it's under-square engine type.


'Nuff said, let the battle begin. 

Recently, I've been comparing bikes of 250cc (maximum engine displacement for a Malaysian B2 license holder), mainly only 3 kinds of bikes in particular that I have in my mind.
1. 2013 Honda CBR250R (non-ABS)
2. 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250 2-cylinders
3. Yamaha YZF-R25

Now, among these three, there's pros and cons in terms of performance and style and I can't seem to make up my mind which should I upgrade to.


First up, the 2013 Honda CBR250R (non-ABS)



non-ABS stands for no anti braking system, which means it will skid if you perform an emergency brake during high-speeds, WHICH ALSO MEANS more prone to accidents if you like to speed but I love to skid..........even though it wastes the tire tracks much faster and leads more money-wasting. lol.
Now, the CBR250R has a:-
Engine displacement of 249.4cc
25-26 horsepower (decent but not so much for a 250cc; what I would like to call strolling performance not racing. It can go up to around 140km/h)
Single-cylinder DOHC engine, 4 valves
4-stroked
Compression ratio of 10.4:1
6-speed drive, liquid-cooled (radiator, good for long-trips)
Fuel-injected with 12.8 liters fuel capacity (programmed so it saves fuel because the oil consumption rate are fixed)
Bore/stroke ratio of 1.38:1 (over-square but not too much over, better power in high-revs)

That's about what I would like to highlight on the specs, there's more but I'll call it miscellaneous.

In terms of performance, it's the poorest among the three compared.
I like it because Honda has released Repsol-designed CBR250Rs to make you feel like you're riding on a motoGP bike, and not to forget, you can design this bike's exhaust piping to under-tail exhaust.
Under-tail exhaust is a design where the exhaust of the bike is placed right on the bottom of the seat. I don't know, in my opinion I think it looks cool. (refer to above picture to see the under-tail exhaust)


Next up is the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250 2-cylinders in my favorite design.
Plain metallic lime-green.
Note: This is not the Ninja 250 SL version which only have 4 valves. cheapskates..


Now, I really love this bike, great performance and stylish so it's somewhere in the balance category.
248cc, DOHC 8-valve, 4-stroked.
PARALLEL TWIN ENGINE!! (I love these kinds of engines in small displacement bikes)
30 horsepower (pretty good, top speed would be around 160-170km/h)
Compression ratio of 11.6:1 (which is somehow good; or at least better performing than the CBR)
6-speed drive, liquid-cooled (radiator), and also electronic fuel-injected (18.2 liters fuel capacity)
Here's the fun part, bore/stroke ratio is 1.5:1, very over-squared so I'm guessing this bike has low pick-up speed but very fast top speed at high-revs, high-geared. (and will require frequent bore-stroke maintenance due to the short-stroke)

A'ight, I would like to highlight that this bike uses a parallel twin engine, which means there's 2 cylinders outflow so you can fit in 2 exhaust pipings.

So you have 2 options whether you want to use the 2-into-1 exhaust system,
OR
you can use both of the pipes and slip on 2 exhausts, place it on left and right (which would look so cool IMO)
so it will look like this (notice the dual exhaust)


The last but not least (but probably is), is the Yamaha YZF-R25, which is also the fastest among the three.
Surely not the coolest name but I'll stick by calling it the R25.



Now it is the fastest of among the three 250cc's because it generates 35.5 horsepower, which is very fast, at least for a 250cc engine displacement bike.
The bore/stroke ratio is 1.36:1 so it's somewhere balance, nice pickup, nice top-speed.
Compression ratio similar to the Ninja 250 which is 11.6:1
Fuel-injected with 14.3 liters fuel capacity.
4-stroked, liquid-cooled, Dual Overhead Camshaft (DOHC) 8-valved, dual-cylinders engine
6-speed drive
and this beast can go up to 175km/h.
I am so falling in love with this bike because it's like both the pros in Honda and Kawasaki is merged together into one Yamaha, I mean how cool is that?
I can have dual-exhaust since it has dual-cylinders.

So, if you have an opinion about these three bikes, or interested to buy my bike to allow me upgrade to one of these three bikes, please leave a comment below.
And as promised, here is my contact number, you may only call or text me : +6014 555 2912



No comments:

My other sites ( there sure are a lot of them )